"Home is where your story begins..."

Friday, February 25, 2011

Potato, Potato

You say “backsplash”, I say “splashback”!
A year or so ago I was working on a residential project and the architect in charge of the build was US-trained. Very knowledgeable guy, years of experience but when it came to the kitchen detail he kept referring to the splashback as a “backsplash”. I couldn’t find it in my heart to correct him.  I just thought if I said “splashback” often enough, he’d get the idea and correct himself. When I suggested a mosaic tile to go on the wall behind the sink, as this would make a lower maintenance SPLASHBACK than a stainless steel one, he agreed that mosaic tiles would indeed make a great backsplash!
Fast forward to last weekend and I’m watching Extreme makeover home edition on TV. As usual, the dream team is creating a magical home from foundation to furnishings within a week. Cut to the scene where Ty is telling us his plans for this family’s huge new kitchen/diner. Lo and behold, he’s picked out some lovely hand-painted tiles for the... you guessed it... backsplash! And that’s when the penny dropped. It was an American thing. I remembered the US-trained Architect I had worked with all those months ago and realised that when I was proudly saying “splashback” in perfectly put on Queen’s English, he was probably wondering why I kept calling it that!
That revelation inspired me to compile a list of things you might come across while building or decorating your home and the British/US translations that might come in handy. If you can think of any more that I've let out, please feel free to leave a comment!

British
American

Splashback
Family room
Larder
Flat
Loo
Lift
Serviette
Wardrobe
Power point
Cooker
Curtains

Backsplash
Den
Pantry
Apartment
Bathroom
Elevator
Napkin
Closet
Socket
Stove
Drapes

No comments:

Post a Comment